Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Who Donated All That Money to the National Association of Realtors Congressional Fund?

I keep seeing the disgustingly dishonest Mitch McConnell campaign ad in which someone must think there are people ignorant enough to believe that Senator McConnell cares a single bit about the middle class. No one, not even the people who continue to support him, could possibly believe anything that ridiculous but the ad continues to run. Shameful.

Since my gut tied into knots the first time I saw the ad, and my gut has seldom been wrong in my sixty years of living with it, and Senator McConnell didn't appear at the end to say he approved these lies, I decided to look into the group that sponsored the ad: The National Association of Realtors Congressional Fund. Huh?

Per Center for Responsive Politics, this is a super PAC that contributes to both the Democratic and Republican Parties (or Democrat Party if you ask a Republican and Republic Party if you ask me, because I'm just that silly), usually favoring Democrats. So, why, in 2014, are they spending a small fortune on Mitch McConnell? This makes no sense to me. 

The association spent more than $22 million on lobbying last year, according to the Center for Responsive Politics (CRP). Guess that's a project for later, or for someone else (hint hint)
 
They don't disclose their donors because they don't have toThis is all I was able to find on the Center for Responsive (why not responsible?) Politics site.









Turns out they also spent a great deal ($709,000) on a primary race in California , to defend an incumbent Republican (Miller), who decided to run in a different district with less competition, and who sat on the House Financial Services Committee, which oversees real estate and insurance. (Thanks, Citizens United, for making it impossible for regular people like me to have a voice in this housing mess.)

--Gut doing somersaults so I kept looking-- 

*Just heard the dishonest ad for the third time while putting this together. Somersaults and cramps getting worse.

Sunlight Foundation Reporting Group had this to add:












Interesting side note and snark - This organization has a Code of Ethics, which I find totally meaningless.


I end up with more questions and no answers. Where are they going to spend the $6million they have on hand? And, does this mean they want to make sure nothing changes in housing? I sure want to see changes. Big changes.


Me 




No comments:

Post a Comment