Friday, August 19, 2011

Theatrics, Senator McConnell? You Deserve the Oscar.

Dear Senator McConnell:

Last week, I had what I believe to be a constructive conversation with Terry Carmack, your state director, to ask how those of us who oppose your views are to reach you, as requested by President Obama who is also YOUR President, no matter how much you try to ignore that fact. I had heard from constituents who were frustrated because your Kentucky offices turn them away, your Kentucky and Washington offices respond to letters with form-letter responses that clearly let them know you either did not read their letters or don't care what THE American People have to say and just want to insult them with Bushit rhetoric, and your phone lines were tied up at times.


Without suggesting that you would ever personally meet with us as our Democratic Representatives do, Mr. Carmack did promise to see us in small groups (due to space limitations and fear of large groups by your office staff) and to relay to you our message and how many people we represent with the message. He requested that we behave as "professionals" by making appointments ahead of time and by not approaching with signs and bullhorns. I assured him that I would adhere to these rules (although when carrying a bullhorn and posters, I am only doing so because I've come from a larger event, not because I am stupid enough to use a bullhorn indoors). My impression was that Mr. Carmack was as concerned with seeking a workable relationship as I was, and I appreciated his time and willingness to speak frankly.

In retrospect, I am concerned with a few buzz words/accusations Mr. Carmack used during our conversation. He suggested that the organization I represent uses "theatrics" and seeks media attention. I agreed that we do seek media attention, but explained that I, personally, seek positive media attention only to let like-minded people know that we represent their voice, since the Corporate-owned media does all it can to silence the voices of the majority in this country. Also, because I wanted to be fair and was afraid of projecting misplaced anger toward Rand Paul's "theatrics" onto Senator McConnell, I let that buzz word go without fully expressing my views.

Since then, I reviewed your comments, Senator McConnell, about "spirited" Republican responses (read: violent rhetoric, toting assault rifles to political events, etc.) and would appreciate hearing what you see as the difference between "spirited" and "theatrical" as it pertains to those who are seeking attention. As I see it, when your party seeks attention and gets "spirited", they tend to lie and do their best to assure that those who oppose them will be too afraid to practice their first amendment rights (e.g. You threaten to use second amendment remedies to combat our first amendment rights). My side carries words on cardboard. Big difference to thinking people.

I know it goes without saying, and is a hopeless request but I beg of you, once again: Please, STOP your dishonest, embarrassing, destructive THEATRICS. Examples:






Embarrassed for you and my state,

Sandy


No comments:

Post a Comment