Thursday, November 4, 2010

Parsing Words about the Mid-Term Election

Dear Senator McConnell:

I am here to parse words. See, I think it is important to remind you that words do matter; the words you use as well as how you use them. Since you represent me—granted an uncomfortable situation for both of us--I am going to hold you accountable for your words and highlight your duplicity. I’ve promised the rest of America I will do so, and I owe it to my fellow Kentuckians who have to live down the stereotypes and insults your party validated for the world this week.

For two years now, you have arrogantly presumed the right to speak for THE American People and deny that when they elected President Obama that actually meant they supported his agenda. A G E N D A. Are you still breathing? Yes, brazen woman that I am, I dare to use the word agenda, without shame, because it is not a dirty word. It is a perfectly acceptable noun in polite conversation, and recognized as such by honest, intelligent people. I will not presume to speak for THE American People (especially not the ones for whom you speak) but I will say that THIS American Person, in the spirit of bipartisan taking back stuff, intends to take back the English language.

You can’t have it both ways. You don’t get to say that one election speaks and another doesn’t. That’s just foolish and insulting. Either, you must admit that the 2008 election meant that the majority of voting Americans (see how easy honesty can be – that just flowed right off my fingertips and didn’t hurt at all) support President Obama’s agenda, or you don’t get to imply that Tuesday’s election means that the majority of voting Americans spoke a little in favor of allowing your party to do something other than say no. If one counts, they both count.

Honesty matters, Senator McConnell. No honest person could possibly interpret your party’s ability to win/buy one branch of government (not the one you would lead, by the way) as an indication that the majority of voting Americans support your ridiculous plan to get rid of or shut out our President, or even to toss his agenda aside. At best, it means voters thought there would be a better chance of getting something done. More likely, it means your party’s problem with wording and honesty confused some voters.

I will appreciate at least an obvious attempt at honesty from you. We, THE People (I can speak for all of us here) deserve that. I know old habits are hard to break but promise I will be here to hold your hand every step of the way. Okay, maybe not every step since it would be a full time job and I need to reserve some time for myself, but I will do what I can. It will probably comfort you to know that I am on a ‘words matter’ campaign and plan to parse words with everyone who misuses them. I’m going to ask everyone to do the same, so you will not be alone.

Sincerely,

Sandy

p.s. I truly am sorry that tea baggers made you irrelevant – for your sake and ours.

1 comment: