Monday, September 24, 2012

Senator McConnell Rewrites History and the First Amendment In This Letter

Way back on February 12, 2012, I sent this letter to Senator McConnell in response to his inane remarks about how the Obama Administration was trying to deny religious rights by not insisting that we all live by the archaic rules that the Catholic Church professes but their followers don't adhere to.

Dear Senator McConnell:

I’ve thought a great deal about your logic and think maybe we should adopt it across the board. Since you believe that religious freedom means forcing everyone to live by one person’s (or one group of people who share a brain) belief system, no matter how immoral or impractical said belief(s) might be, I provide the following list of things that I find immoral and want stopped immediately:

1. Tax exemptions for churches

2. Tax exemptions for charitable donations

3. Tax deductions for people who have more than two children

4. Sheltered trust funds for the children of parents who know they’ve raised greedy, worthless offspring and therefore think they need to hoard dirty money for future generations

5. Wars started for the sole purpose of lining Republican pockets which I believe would be all started by Republicans in my lifetime (I do support President Obama’s version of targeting terrorists and assisting those who are under attack by their governments but don’t expect you to admit there is a difference)

6. Corporate welfare

7. Citizen’s United

8. Organized religion, although I have no problem with it being legal for people over twenty-one to participate if they choose

9. Home schooling

10. All groups that use the word family or patriot as part of their title

11. Walmart and FOX News [sic]

12. Republicans

13. Hypocrites, which would include everyone who professes to be Christian while they judge others for being gay, not being Christian, being poor, not being greedy, using birth control, supporting the rights of others to choose their own religion or what to do with their bodies, supporting Planned Parenthood, being darker than snow, not looking or acting like reptiles, hating FACTS (yep, I used the four-letter F bomb on you)

14. Thunder Over Louisville (annual celebration of war with fighter planes and fireworks over the city that is now home to refugees from countries we have destroyed – remember Muhammad?

15. Media coverage of people (you, especially) who confuse their bible with the constitution and can't get either right
This concludes my short list. Will get back to you with more once you’ve managed to eradicate these violations of my first amendment rights. 

Terribly sincere,

Sandy

A few days ago, (today is September 24, 2012), I received this response from Senator McConnell, dated August 15, 2012.


My response:

Dear Senator McConnell:

I don't know why you thank me for contacting you about my concerns if you are only going to ignore them and rehash your talking points. Surely, you must know that your inane statements are what prompt me to write in the first place. Do you think doubling down on dishonesty is polite?

I would have appreciated an honest statement like, "Since I need to do something to make it look like I am earning the tax-payer money I receive for this job the government created for me, I will respond to that annoying letter you sent. Waiting six months and pretending you said something other than what I don't want to address is my way of telling you how little I care."

The second paragraph contains a redundancy in the first line. I understand it is probably impossible to find intelligent people willing to endure the humiliation of having to work in your office but I ask you to please try a little harder to find people who can remember what they typed two sentences before. Remember, you also represent the intelligent citizens of Kentucky who did not vote for you. Like it or not, it is your job to represent us and you are failing at that.

I would giggle at your rewrite of history if it weren't important, or you were writing fiction. I do thank you for admitting that you don't understand the First Amendment and will share this letter widely.

Don't worry. I will keep you informed of issues that are important to me. Honesty is the most important thing in life to me. I've told you that repeatedly and you continue to be dishonest. Therefore, spreading the word about you and doing all I can to see that you are removed from office as soon as possible is high on my list of priorities.

Sincerely,

Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment